People either love radishes or they hate them. The taste doesn’t appeal to everyone’s palette but lucky for us, you can actually get all the impressive health benefits of black radish in a supplement. Never heard of black radish? Better have a seat and read on, because it has some wonderful benefits that you should know about.
What is black radish?
Black radish a root vegetable of the family Brassicaceae and is a variety of the winter radish most of us are familiar with. It is also called Black Spanish Radish or Erfurter radish. This radish is larger than traditional spring radishes, growing on average 3-4” in diameter or length. Depending upon variety, the radish can be round or cylindrical and elongated. It is an excellent source of vitamin C and provides potassium, iron and magnesium as well as vitamins A, E and B.
Why are people excited about black radish for health?
Black radish is also known for its ability to fight off infection and promote healthy digestive function. It contains raphanin which studies have shown to be beneficial in treatment of both under and overactive thyroid imbalances. Studies have also shown that the leaves have a liver detoxifying effect. The radish has been used in folk medicine in Europe and China to stimulate bile function and improve the health of the gallbladder. In India it has been used as a liver health-promoting tonic. In Chinese medicine black radish is used to promote pulmonary and respiratory health.
What specific benefits does it provide?
Black radish has many great health and beauty benefits including helping you achieve:
- Healthy skin – it boasts of having plenty of natural antioxidants. It contains a high level of Vitamin C which is crucial for our skin to fight against aging.
- Healthy hair – it is capable of stimulating our hair roots, which eventually enhances the circulation of blood throughout our scalp. It can also get rid of excessive dryness or oiliness of the scalp.
- Healthy liver – it contains Vitamin B1, Vitamin B complex, and Vitamin C, as well as calcium and magnesium which facilitate the flow of bile and keep our internal system healthy at the same time.
- Healthy metabolism – it actively participates in the circulation and metabolism of fat in the body.
- Healthy digestion – it clears toxins from the stomach. This ensures that the PH level of the stomach is maintained
This article lists additional potential benefits of black radish. Impressive!
Are there studies about benefits?
A study published in a 2012 issue of “Journal of Biomedicine and Biotechnology” investigated the effects of juice extracted from the root on gallstones and blood lipids in mice. The study concluded that this radish shows promise in treating cholesterol gallstones and lowering blood lipid levels. A study reported in the “Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry” in 2007 found that aqueous extracts of Spanish black radish and isothiocyanate compounds induced detoxification enzymes in human liver cancer cell lines and may reduce the risk of cancer through the induction of detoxification enzymes. A study published in the journal “Nutrition and Cancer” in 2012 examined the protective effects of it on bone marrow cells against a toxin. Researchers concluded that black radish owes its protective effects to the presence of toxins.
Do you have to eat it to get the benefits?
While you could eat this radish, there are other options as well, including juices, powders and capsules. As with any supplement, you want to ensure you’re buying from a reputable supplement company so you know where the ingredients are coming from, where it’s manufactured, and that any claims attached to the product have merit. Always be a diligent consumer!
Black radish is an exciting new addition to any health routine. Keep your eyes open as you’ll soon hear more about this impressive little root!