The many health benefits of turmeric are well-known by those who are interested in healthy living, but there are some interesting facts about turmeric that many people might find surprising. Did you know these facts about turmeric?
- Turmeric is a perennial herb that is native to India and has the scientific name of Curcuma longa.
- Turmeric is as an anti-inflammatory agent
- Turmeric is used as a stomach soother, and is effective for treating constipation, cramping, and irritable bowel syndrome.
- The anti-inflammatory nature of turmeric can relieve most symptoms of menstruation.
- Turmeric has been found to improve liver function and reduce the levels of toxicity in the body.
- Turmeric is a knows antioxidant and anticarcinogenic agent.
- Turmeric is commonly used in curries, especially Indian and Thai cuisines.
- Turmeric is part of the ginger family of herbs
- Turmeric is the key ingredient in the healthy drink “golden milk”.
- Turmeric is sometimes used as a substitute for saffron.
- Turmeric has long been used as an Eastern folk remedy for eye discharges and as a cooling, soothing skin lotion.
- Turmeric is popular served as a tea in Japan.
- Turmeric is used as a fabric dye.
- Turmeric is a good source of vitamin C and magnesium.
- Used on the skin, turmeric powders and poultices temporarily stain the skin but has a well-known benefit for healing wounds with less scarring and even reducing frown lines.
- The cycle of cells becoming cancerous appears to be inhibited by the antioxidant, anti-inflammatory effects of turmeric.
- Turmeric can be useful for migraine pain.
- Turmeric is used in several cosmetics and skin products.
Turmeric is truly an amazing, multi-purpose herb that has many uses. If you haven’t yet discovered turmeric as part of a healthy regimen, visit our Future Pharm store to learn more about our all-natural, organic turmeric extract.